Quite frequently I get the answer, “I had a salad” when I ask the question, what did you have for lunch? A Salad can be an absolute great low calorie option and can be packed full of nutrients, but not all salads are created equal. Eating a salad does not necessary justify a better meal. I recommend constructing your own salads at home, because this way we know exactly what we are eating. You might be surprised to see the high sugar, fat, sodium and calorie amounts per salad below. Check it out!
McDonalds Premium Southwest Salad with Crispy Chicken: 430 calories, 38g Carbs(12g sugar), 26g Protein, 20g fat(4g saturated), 920mg sodium. This is without the dressing!
- choose grilled and subtract 90 calories & 11g fat. better, but not a great option either.
Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad: 760 calories, 42g Carbs(4g sugar), 39g Protein, 49g fat(16g saturated), 1980mg sodium
- I hope you are not eating this particular salad or any salad from Wendy’s. 49g fat, WOW! and look at the sodium levels.
Applebee’s Weight Watchers Paradise Chicken, with dressing: 340 calories, 35g Carbs, 45g Protein, 4g fat(1g saturated), 6g fiber, 2046mg sodium
- Now this is something i can live with, minus the sodium levels…yikes! Make sure to drink plenty of water at this meal, no soda pop!
Applebee’s Grilled Shrimp n’ Spinach, with out dressing: 610 calories, 20g carbs, 46g Protein, 44g fat(8g saturated), 10g fiber, 1820mg salt
- at first glance it doesn’t look that bad, but wait! 44g of fat and 1820mg salt & remember this is with out the dressing!
Chilis Boneless Buffalo Chicken Salad: 910 calories, 48g Carbs, 46g Protein, 68g Fat(16g saturated), 8g fiber, 4060mg sodium
- I dont’ believe this should even be legal with out the Waiter asking the customer, are you sure?
Chilis Quesadilla Explosion Salad: 1400 calories, 90g Carbs, 65g Protein, 89g Fat(28 saturated), 8g fiber, 2370mg sodium
- I dont’ believe this is even considered a salad, but worth exposing the truth behind these so called salads. 89g fat is a heart attack waiting to happen. STOP eating these so called salads!
I have only included a few salad options from just a couple different restaurants. There are definitely plenty more BAD ones out there to find! I just wanted to expose the truth behind some of these salads we are eating. We can no longer be telling our personal trainers, husbands, workout partners or any other accountability buddy that we just ate a salad for lunch, aren’t you proud! We must always be aware of what we are eating and always check the nutritional facts. Trust me it’s worth the extra minute it takes.
Try our Fresh & Green Tuna Salad for a healthy alternative(find it in the recipes section), Serving size(whole recipe) 285 Calories, 22g Carbs(10.5g sugar), 37g protein, 6g fat
TIP: Order your salad dressing on the side, and dip your fork in the dressing before taking a bite of your salad. This will definitely save you a couple unwanted calories.